266 kg of boxes, more than 100 kg of pebbles, 36 kg of soil and 9 kg of pipe - that's the amount of kit I moved across the hillside recently, it's no wonder I feel zonked! Walking from the roadside over to the Lover’s Stone is not a challenging or long walk but it is completely different when pushing a wheelbarrow with an unstable load in strong winds and rain. Fun times!
I split the journey into more manageable sections, first moving the boxes half way before completing the rest of the journey.
A few final details had to be recorded before the old boxes could be removed. I knew to call it a day when I threw some particularly awesome contortionist moves to climb into a cleit only to realise I had left my kit just out of reach.
Once the information was collected it was out with the old…
...and in with the new.
The boxes and pipe burrows had to be anchored in place with large pebbles from the beach in Village Bay. Moving boxes was easy in comparison and my energy levels could be monitored by the distribution of pebble piles across the hill side. At the start of the week I had a spring in my step and managed to move pebbles high up in one fell swoop. As the week progressed and tiredness set in the piles of pebbles started to appear lower (and lower) down the hill!
It was tricky to figure out how to orientate the boxes within the cleits and I needed to alter my plans a couple of times to squeeze them in while still allowing access for monitoring. For a few days I spent a considerable amount of hours inside cleits and as I was climbing into one I noticed a pocket watch tucked into a wall. I took a photo but left the find in situ so Kevin could record it in the context of where it was found. I also found an old numbered tag which were originally used to identify cleits for monitoring purposes.
Once the new boxes were secure it was time to break apart the old wooden boxes and transfer them to the roadside. Thanks to Angus and Alan for taking a run up in a Land Rover, collecting the boxes and throwing them into the skip. Job done!