The Village in 1886

The Village in 1886, showing the roofed 1860s houses with the thatched 1830s houses now used as barns and byres for the cattle. Down by the shore are the Store, Church and Manse. At the east end of the village Is the Factor's House. Storage cleitean are scattered about, both within and without the head dyke. There are a number of enclosures for garden crops.


The Village in 1886
Photograph: George Washington Wilson Collection, University of Aberdeen

Back to Previous Page

© The National Trust for Scotland